Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day, which is usually the case after a night of storms and tornadoes. Bright sunshine, birds tweeting, and no text messages overnight. But you know having a calm Saturday is just never in the cards for me.
Woke up, did all the morning stuff one does, such as piddle around on the computer. For those of you not from the South, piddling is not the same as lolly-gagging. But you get what I mean. So as it was the last day of the month it was time to change out my contact lens. Somehow I managed to scratch my right eye getting that one out,which sent shock waves of pain through my eyeball. But you know when I do something I like to make sure I have done it thoroughly, so just to make sure I had done all the damage I could, I was brushing my hair and poked myself in the eye with the hairbrush.
By now I’m looking like I’ve been on a 30 day alcoholic bender and tears are pouring down my face. Even one drop of light was horribly painful. Luckily with me being a pirate and all I had some eye patches. Okay, this may not be the first time I have poked myself in the eye, but in my defense I do get distracted by shiny things and don’t always pay attention to the mascara wand.
But that was just the beginning of the WTF moments of my day. As some of you know already I am an expert on burning food. I managed to cook up some wild rice and then started boiling some sweet potatoes. Since I removed the smoke alarm from the kitchen a loooong time ago I’m not sure how much time passed before I thought,” Wow something smells.” So let’s just say I am down to owning 2 pots now. And to let you know how often this happens,when I sent a text to my Keeper and let him know that I only had 2 pots left,his reply was ” Beans again?” And don’t bother with telling me to get a crockpot, I ruined those already.
Is it just me or does being in pain make you a tee total bitch!? I mean I was ready to take someone’s head off by the time that OU Boy came in the door. So here I sit on the sofa, pouting and trying to read with one eye and he says, “What’s with the eye patch? Are we going to Long John Silver’s tonight?” Let’s just say he departed quickly.
So today is May Day! Always one of my favorite days. The ribbons around the May Pole and being silly. It also means that my birthday is just days away. On a side note I would appreciate it if the Mother’s Day folks could shut up until after my birthday!
So I’ve given some thought to what I’ve learned so far in this life. And here are my thoughts.
1. Things are rarely as they appear.
2. Things are more often gray than black or white.
3. Opinions are based on the information you have, which isn’t always complete.
4.The same Creator made us all…all. Color just makes it interesting.
5. If you call yourself a Christian and still spout hate and discord, you are actually not a Christian.
6. And on the same note, going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to the garage makes you a car.
7.You get what you give. Always. What ever you put out in to the universe is exactly what you will get back.
Miserable people always wonder why their lives are so miserable. It’s because you make it that way.
8. Jesus was a Jew. I’m not sure he ever converted to Christianity.
9. People make mistakes…every minute of every day…it’s how we grow and learn.
10. Forgiveness is crucial. And do it quickly.
11. You can never really “know” another person. Most of us don’t even “know” ourselves.
12. Judging other people is not our job. At all. Unless you live in another person’s skin, you have no idea what is or has happened in their lives. If you must play judge, look in the mirror and start there.
13. My father was a remarkable man and I should have listened to him more.
14. Saying “no” up front is a lot easier and kinder than doing something and resenting it the entire time.
15. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
16. If you can’t say something nice, be quiet.
17. We are our brother’s keeper. We are a team here and we win or lose as a whole.